Want to talk with a consultant about your piece of writing but can’t make it to the Writing Center? No problem.
Through these consultations, you can work with a writing consultant from anywhere you want (as long as it has a decent internet connection). It's up to you whether you'd like to talk via text chat, audio chat, or video chat. No matter how you choose to communicate, through online consultations, you will have a real-time conversation about your writing with a KU Writing Center consultant. Please read this document for directions on scheduling an online consultation. You may make one appointment per day.
There are a few things you should know and do in advance of your appointment, so please read the following requirements and instructions before scheduling your online consultation.
Because our online consultations have some technological requirements, please be sure you have the following:
- A computer with one of the following operating systems: Mac OS X, Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8, Chrome, Ubuntu
- One of the following browsers: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari
- A decent internet connection. (If you can stream a video without interruption, your connection can probably support an online consultation.)
- Optional but preferred: A microphone, speaker, and webcam connected to your computer. (A microphone and speaker is required if you want to have audio chat. A webcam is required if you want to video chat.
- Once you are in the appointment system, go to the drop down menu at the top of the page.
- Select "Online Consultations & Email Feedback."
- Make certain to read the instructions at the top of the page as they are very important.
- Note that all open appointments are white in color.
- Select the white box time that works best for you. (Be aware that you will be meeting with a consultant during this time. Make certain that you are free and will have an internet connection at your selected time.)
- A new window will open. Fill in the required information.
- In the Meet Online? section, there will be two options in the drop down menu.
- Yes - Meet Online
- Yes - Schedule eTutoring Appointment
- Select "Yes-Meet Online."
- Check over the information you provided, then click "Save Appointment."
- Once the appointment is saved, you will see a prompt to attach a file. You are not required to do so for Online Appointments, but if you should choose to do so, select "Click Here" in the Success! window.
- Another window will open and allow you to attach the file of your choice. Follow the prompts, then click "Upload File."
After scheduling your Online Appointment, you will have the option of attaching a file. Note that files are not required of Online Appointments. You can attach a file at two different times: directly after you make your appointment or later.
If attaching a file directly after making an appointment:
- After you have clicked "Save Appointment," a window titled "Success!" will pop up. In that window, you will see the option to attach a file and "click here."
- Select "click here."
- Another window will open listing your appointment date and time, attach file option, and document title. Click "Choose File."
- Select the file that you wish to upload.
- Once completed, look to the bottom of the window and select "Upload File."
- Your file should now be uploaded to your appointment.
If attaching a file later (once the appointment window is closed or days after making the appointment:
- Upon entering WCOnline: in the upper left hand corner of the screen, you will see a series of icons.
- Select the yellow folder icon.
- The "Attach a File" window will open. In this window, you will see "Appointment."
- Select the appointment time for which you want to upload a file.
- Next, select "Choose File" and select the file you wish to upload.
- Once these steps are complete, scroll to the bottom of the window and select "Upload File."
- When the document is uploaded, the window will refresh. If the upload is successful, it will state in a green box "Your file has been attached successfully!"
Are you uncertain about how to access your online appointment? Follow the directions below.
- Five to ten minutes before the start of your appointment time, sign back into WConline.
- Find your appointment time. It will be denoted by a yellow box color. Double right click on your appointment time.
- In the new window, click "Start or Join Online Consultation."
My appointment is right now. What do I do?
Finally, a plea for your patience and cooperation. This service and technology is still evolving, and we need your help to make it better. Please bear with us as we continue to work out the kinks.