ENGL/LA&S 400 - Tutoring and Teaching Writing
"Tutoring and Teaching Writing" is designed to give you the background needed to work as a writing consultant. Students who take the class do lots of writing, share their writing, observe other writing consultants, learn how to respond to writing, and practice as interns in the KU Writing Center. The course also prepares students who may eventually want to work in the KU Writing Center.
- Understand theories of human learning and what you can do to create a learning environment.
- Understand writing processes—including your own—as explained by researchers, theorists, and fellow writers.
- Know and use strategies for collaborating effectively with other writers.
- Set priorities for revision, taking into account individual writing processes, learner strengths and rhetorical contexts.
- Understand how components of identity and experience (class, race, gender, national origin, language, fluency and others) affect communication and what you can do to foster sensitive and productive communication.
- Know and use effective teaching and tutoring strategies for both L1 and L2 writers.
- Know and use effective strategies for teaching and tutoring writing online.
- Apply theories learned in the course to practice in teaching and tutoring writing, and use practice to inform and modify theory.