Receive eTutoring Feedback
Want feedback on your writing but have a complicated schedule? Learn better from written rather than verbal feedback? Receiving written feedback may be a great option for you. Instead of meeting with a consultant online or face-to-face, many writers prefer to upload their writing online and receive written feedback from a consultant. We call this eTutoring.
Think eTutoring is for you? Just decide the specific areas or concerns on which you want feedback; send your questions, assignment, and draft through our online form; and wait for our response. It's that easy.
First, make sure you're using a browser that is compatible with our website. We recommend Firefox, Chrome, or Safari. Please read this document for directions on scheduling an online consultation.
- Once you are in the appointment system, go to the drop down menu at the top of the page.
- Select "Online Consultations & Email Feedback."
- Make certain to read the instructions at the top of the page as they are very important.
- Note that all open appointments are white in color.
- Select the white box time that works best for you.
- (Please be aware that you will not receive your eTutoring feedback until the end of the selected time.)
- A new window will open. Fill in the required information.
- In the Meet Online? section, there will be two options in the drop down menu.
- Yes - Meet Online
- Yes - Schedule eTutoring Appointment
- Select "Yes - Schedule eTutoring Appointment."
- Check over the information you provided, then click "Save Appointment."
- Once the appointment is saved, a new window will open. You must attach a file in this new window.
- Follow the prompts to attach your document, then click "Upload File."
- You will have the opportunity to upload one document in .DOC or .DOCX format.
Once you have secured your appointment time and attached your file, you will receive your feedback from a Writing Center consultant at the end of the time you selected.
After scheduling your eTutoring Appointment, you will have the option of attaching a file. Note that files are required for eTutoring Appointments. You can attach a file at two different times: directly after you make your appointment or later.
If attaching a file directly after making an appointment:
- After you have clicked "Save Appointment," a window titled "Success!" will pop up. In that window, you will see the option to attach a file and "click here."
- Select "click here."
- Another window will open listing your appointment date and time, attach file option, and document title. Click "Choose File."
- Select the file that you wish to upload.
- Once completed, look to the bottom of the window and select "Upload File."
- Your file should now be uploaded to your appointment.
If attaching a file later (once the appointment window is closed or days after making the appointment:
- Upon entering WCOnline: in the upper left hand corner of the screen, you will see a series of icons.
- Select the yellow folder icon.
- The "Attach a File" window will open. In this window, you will see "Appointment."
- Select the appointment time for which you want to upload a file.
- Next, select "Choose File" and select the file you wish to upload.
- Once these steps are complete, scroll to the bottom of the window and select "Upload File."
- When the document is uploaded, the window will refresh. If the upload is successful, it will state in a green box "Your file has been attached successfully!"
- Check your email shortly after your chosen time.
- An email containing a link and instructions will arrive in your email inbox.
- You will need to sign into WCOnline to access the file containing your feedback.
- Once you are signed into WCOnline, go to your chosen appointment time. Click on your appointment time block.
- A window will open. Scroll to the bottom of that window and download the attached file/feedback.
Policies to Know
You may make one appointment per day.
How long does it take? Feedback is not instantaneous, so plan accordingly. Since you are making an online appointment (effectively reserving time for a consultant to review and respond to your writing), you can decide when you would like to receive feedback. How quickly you can receive feedback depends on demand: some times, you may be able to make an online appointment for the same day; other times, our online appointments may be booked several days in advance.
Provide the Assignment: Because good writing (and writing feedback) is contextual, it is crucial that we know the requirements and goals of the writing assignment. You must provide a detailed description of the assignment or writing project in order to receive feedback. This information enables the consultant to tailor feedback to your project's requirements. Please note that submissions that do not include an assignment description will be returned without feedback.
Submission Limits: You may submit one piece of writing in a 7-day period for written feedback. Each piece of writing is limited to 8 pages typed and double-spaced, or about 3,000 words.
Attaching your Writing: In order to keep your appointment, your file(s) must be attached prior to the appointment's start time. If your writing is not attached to the appointment when it is scheduled to begin, the appointment will be recorded as missed.
Meet with a Consultant: Receiving feedback via e-mail is a great option for writers who learn best from written feedback or whose schedules make it difficult to meet with a consultant one-on-one. However, if you do have time to meet with a consultant face to face or online, you can expect even more assistance from these productive individual consultations.