The KU Writing Center is now closed for the fall semester. We will reopen for the spring semester on the first day of classes, Tuesday, January 20.
All writers benefit from invested readers who provide feedback, ask questions, serve as sounding boards, and offer motivation and encouragement throughout the writing process. The KU Writing Center provides individual consultations with trained peer consultants who will coach and guide you as you compose.
Because face-to-face consultations are one-on-one, you can use them for any kind of writing project and at any stage of the writing process--whether you haven't yet started writing, are trying to polish a final draft, or are somewhere in between.
We now use iPads for consultations! Since iPads do not have USB ports, we ask that you either e-mail the paper to your KU e-mail address, save it to Google Docs, or print your writing before your appointment.
- We recommend a 30-minute appointment if your paper is 5 pages or less.
- We recommend a 45-minute appointment if your paper is longer than 5 pages.
- We recommend a 60-minute appointment with a Graduate Consultant.
One Appointment at a Time: Because we want to provide all writers an equal opportunity to schedule an appointment, we allow you to schedule only one appointment at a time. As soon as your appointment has ended, you can schedule another appointment.
Late Arrivals: You must arrive on time for your appointment. If you are more than 5 minutes late to your appointment, your appointment will be treated as a missed appointment, and you will be asked to reschedule your appointment for another time. If another student is waiting for a walk-in appointment, that student will be given your appointment at that time.
Some students think they must take completed papers to their Writing Center appointments. Here's the good news: We work with writers (and writing) at any stage of completion or incompletion. Even if you're "not ready" to see a consultant, we recommend you keep your appointment. You'll be surprised at how much you can accomplish!
If you must cancel your appointment, please give us notice. Here's how it works:
- Click on "Schedule a Face-to-Consultation." Then choose "My Appointments." From that screen, you may cancel your appointment. You may also cancel by calling 785-864-2399.
- Cancel your appointment at least 4 hours in advance.
- If you have not canceled your appointment within this time frame, it will be considered a missed appointment.
- If you miss more than two scheduled appointments, you will no longer be able to make KU Writing Center appointments online.