All writers benefit from invested readers who will provide feedback, ask questions, be sounding boards, and offer motivation and encouragement throughout the writing process. The KU Writing Center offers individual consultations with trained peer consultants who will coach and guide you as you compose.
Because face-to-face consultations are one-on-one, you can come in for any kind of writing project and at any stage of the writing process--whether you haven't yet started writing, are trying to polish a final draft, or are somewhere in between.
- We recommend a 30-minute appointment if your paper is 5 pages or less.
- We recommend a 45-minute appointment if your paper is longer than 5 pages.
- We recommend a 60-minute appointment with a Graduate Consultant.
One Appointment at a Time: Because we want to provide all writers the equal opportunity to schedule an appointment, we only allow one appointment to be scheduled at a time. As soon as your appointment has ended, you will be able to schedule another appointment.
Some students think they must take completed papers to their Writing Center appointments. Here's the good news: We work with writers (and writing) at any stage of completion or incompletion. Even if you're "not ready" to see a consultant, we recommend you keep your appointment. You'll be surprised at how much you can accomplish!
If you must cancel your appointment, please give us notice. Here's how it works:
- Click on "Schedule a Face-to-Consultation," then choose "My Appointments." From that screen, you may cancel your appointment. You may also cancel by phone by calling 785.864.2399.
- Cancel your appointment at least 4 hours in advance.
- If you have not canceled within this time frame, it will be considered a missed appointment.
- If you miss more than two scheduled appointments, you will no longer be able to make KU Writing Center appointments online.