The Writing Center at our Anschutz and Watson Library locations, Residence Halls, and Online Consultations are now open for the Fall 2015 semester.
All writers benefit from invested readers who provide feedback, ask questions, serve as sounding boards, and offer motivation and encouragement throughout the writing process. The KU Writing Center provides individual consultations with trained peer consultants who will coach and guide you as you compose.
Because face-to-face consultations are one-on-one, you can use them for any kind of writing project and at any stage of the writing process--whether you haven't yet started writing, are trying to polish a final draft, or are somewhere in between.
FYI: We use iPads for in the Writing Center. If you want to refer to an electronic draft in your writing consultation, please e-mail the paper to your KU e-mail address, save it to Google Docs, or bring your laptop. Since iPads do not have USB ports, we cannot open documents on thumb drives.
- We offer 40-minute appointments for all undergraduate writers. You may work with a graduate or undergraduate consultant.
- We offer 60-minute appointments for graduate writers. All graduate appointments are with graduate consultants.
Two Appointments at a Time: Because we want to provide all writers an equal opportunity to use the Writing Center, we allow you to schedule no more than two appointments at a time. As soon as one of your appointments has ended, you can schedule another appointment. You may not schedule back-to-back appointments.
Late Arrivals: You must arrive on time for your appointment. If you are more than 5 minutes late to your appointment, your appointment will be treated as a no-show and may be given to a client waiting for a walk-in appointment.
Some students think they must take completed papers to their Writing Center appointments. Here's the good news: We work with writers (and writing) at any stage of completion or incompletion. Even if you're "not ready" to see a consultant, we recommend you keep your appointment. You'll be surprised at how much you can accomplish!
If you must cancel your appointment, please give us notice. Here's how it works:
- Click on "Schedule a Face-to-Consultation." Then choose "My Appointments." From that screen, you may cancel your appointment. You may also cancel by calling 785-864-2399.
- Cancel your appointment at least 3 hours in advance.
- If you have not canceled your appointment within this time frame, it will be considered a missed appointment.
- If you miss more than two scheduled appointments, you will no longer be able to make KU Writing Center appointments online.