All writers benefit from invested readers who provide feedback, ask questions, serve as sounding boards, and offer motivation and encouragement throughout the writing process. The KU Writing Center provides individual consultations with trained peer consultants who will coach and guide you as you write. You can make appointments for consultations at any stage of the writing process--when you haven't yet started writing, are trying to polish a final draft, or are somewhere in between. We ask that you make the suggested revisions before scheduling another appointment time. We do not not offer line-by-line corrections. Consultants are educators, not editors.
FYI: We use Microsoft Surface tablets in the Writing Center. If you would like to refer to an electronic document during your appointment, you can bring your personal laptop or a USB Flash Drive to use with our tablets.
- We offer 40-minute appointments for all undergraduate writers.
- We offer 55-minute appointments for graduate writers. All graduate appointments are with graduate consultants.
Repeat Appointments: We want to support you as a writer, and many other KU students are just like you. If you have an ongoing project you're working on, we suggest that you make future appointments with the same consultant after you have discussed your project and made revisions. You may make appointments seven days in advance. Keep in mind that others also need appointments.
Students can make two appointments per week per schedule. During busy times of the semester or times when appointments are limited, we may limit this to one appointment per week per schedule.
Late Arrivals: You must arrive on time for your appointment. If you are more than 10 minutes late to your appointment, your appointment will be treated as a no-show and may be given to a client waiting for a walk-in appointment.
Some students think they must take completed papers to their Writing Center appointments. Here's the good news: We work with writers (and writing) at any stage of completion or incompletion. Even if you're "not ready" to see a consultant, we recommend you keep your appointment. You'll be surprised at how much you can accomplish!
If you must cancel your appointment, please give us notice. Here's how it works:
- Log into our appointment system (you can get also there clicking on "Schedule a Face-to-Consultation") and open your appointment. At the bottom of that screen, you will see an option to cancel your appointment. You may also cancel by calling 785-864-2399.
- Please cancel your appointment at least 1 hour in advance. If you have not canceled your appointment within this time frame, it will be considered a missed appointment.
- If you miss more than two scheduled appointments, you will no longer be able to make KU Writing Center appointments online.