All writers benefit from invested readers who provide feedback, ask questions, serve as sounding boards, and offer motivation and encouragement throughout the writing process. The KU Writing Center provides individual consultations with trained peer consultants who will coach and guide you as you write. You can make appointments for consultations at any stage of the writing process--when you haven't yet started writing, are trying to polish a final draft, or are somewhere in between. We ask that you make the suggested revisions before scheduling another appointment time. We do not not offer line-by-line corrections. Consultants are educators, not editors.
Because of COVID-19 and campus guidelines for social distancing and safety, the KU Writing Center's face-to-face appointments are much more limited than in previous semester, and we have implemented new safety measures. Please review the policies below related to in-person appointments:
- In accordance with the Protect KU Pledge, anyone experiencing COVID-19 symptoms should not come in for an in-person appointment. If one of our staff members calls in sick, face-to-face appointments will be cancelled. In the event of cancellations, we will contact writers with appointments via phone and email ASAP. If possible, we will move your appointment online.
- Please plan to arrive for your appointment on time (not early or late) so we can limit the number of people in our space. Before coming into the Writing Center, call the front desk at (785) 864-2399 to make sure your consutlant is ready for you. Please do not come into the Writing Center before calling.
- In accordance with the KU's Interm Mask Policy, anyone visiting the KUWC "must wear a face covering (cloth face covering, surgical mask, etc.) over one's mouth and nose when in common areas of a building and when within six (6) feet of another individual(s)." If you are not properly wearing a mask, you will be asked to leave the office.
- Please bring two copies of your paper so that you and the consultant can work together while followign physical distancing guidelines. If you're unable to bring two copies, then please bring a copy for yourself and your laptop and make sure the paper is easily accessible digitally, so the consultant can pull it up on another device.
Appointment Times: To allow for additional passing time between appointments, all appointments (both undergraduate and graduate) will last 40 minutes.
Late Arrivals: You must arrive on time for your appointment. If you are more than 15 minutes late, your appointment will be treated as a no-show, and we will not be able to conduct the appointment.
Cancellation Policy: Some students think they must take completed papers to their Writing Center appointments. Here's the good news: we work with writers (and writing) at any stage of completion or incompletion. Even if you're "not ready" to see a consultant, we recommend you keep your appointment. You'll be suprised at how much you can accomplish! However, if you must cancel your appointment, please give us notice. Here's how it works:
- Log into our appointment system (you can also get there by clicking on "Schedule an Appointment") and open your appointment. At the bottom of that screen, you will see an option to cancel. You can also cancel by calling (785) 864-2399.
- Please cancel your appointment at least 1 hour in advance. If you have not cancelled your appointment within this time frame, it will be considered a missed appointment.
- If you miss more than two scheduled appointments, you will no longer be able to make KU Writing Center appointments online.