Graduate Student Writing Groups
Why join a Graduate Student Writing Group?
- A sense of accountability
- Increased writing productivity
- Feedback on your writing
- Encouragement to set and accomplish goals
- Aid in overcoming "writer's block" and other writing challenges
Summer Graduate Writing Groups
The Writing Center is offering 5 intensive writing group sessions in Summer 2016. All spots are full at this time. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to be put on the waitlist. More groups will open in fall so check back in mid-August for sign-up dates.
When participating in a group led by the KU Writing Center we ask that you:
- Make an engaged commitment to the group: join with the intention of showing up every time (barring travel or illness) and providing feedback to others in the group.
- Let your group and facilitator know whenever you must be absent, as far in advance as possible.
- Respect the guidelines, structure, and schedule created by your group.
- Treat others in your group with respect and give only constructive feedback.
- Let your group members and facilitator know if you decide you can no longer participate.
- Let your facilitator know if you have any troubles or concerns with your group so that we can help.
- Fill out a survey whenever you finish participating in a group. This allows us to continue to improve our writing groups program.
- Agree to maintain confidentiality pertaining to all materials and conversations during writing group meetings.
"Writing is an arduous yet rewarding process. Sometimes people need a little motivation and support in order to get the ball rolling. The facilitators are able to zero in on certain issues and make things like 'comma usage' not so scary." - Student in Special Education
"The most helpful aspect of participation in the writing group was accountability, set time to work, and other people who understand the process and the difficulties." - Student in American Studies
"It is useful to receive critical feedback and to learn from others." - Student in Geology
Note: Graduate writing groups are sponsored by the KU Writing Center and the Office of Graduate Studies. They are, therefore, state and tuition funded rather than funded by student fees. Groups are offered free of charge to KU graduate students.