Graduate Student Writing Groups
Summer 2018 Groups
We are offering the following "accountability" groups in Summer 2018. This means that members set writing goals at the beginning of each meeting and use then the entire time to write. Each group is led by a trained writing group facilitator who is available for individual writing consultations as needed. All groups are held in Anschutz Library on the Lawrence campus.
*Note: The deadline for summer writing groups registration has passed and all groups are full. Please check back later in the summer for information on fall writing groups.
Session A (June 4 - 27): Monday/Wednesday, 11am-1pm
Session B (June 4 - 27): Monday/Wednesday, 3-5pm
Session C (July 3 - 26): Tuesday/Thursday, 11am-1pm
Session D (July 3-26): Tuesday/Thursday, 3-5pm
Session E (June 7- July 26): Thursdays, 1-3pm
If this is your first time joining a writing group, or you would like help deciding which group is right for you, please visit our Writing Group Decision Maker.
All inquiries about graduate writing groups should be directed to the KU Writing Center.
All writing group participants must have writing projects and drafts to bring to meetings. Groups tend to work best for more advanced graduate students (third year and above) because these students often have more regular writing to work on.
Why join a Graduate Student Writing Group?
- A sense of accountability
- Increased writing productivity
- Encouragement to set and accomplish goals
- Aid in overcoming "writer's block" and other writing challenges
When participating in a group led by the KU Writing Center we ask that you:
- Make an engaged commitment to the group: join with the intention of showing up every time (barring travel or illness) and providing feedback to others in the group.
- Let your group and facilitator know whenever you must be absent, as far in advance as possible.
- Respect the guidelines, structure, and schedule created by your group.
- Treat others in your group with respect.
- Let your group members and facilitator know if you decide you can no longer participate.
- Let your facilitator know if you have any troubles or concerns with your group so that we can help.
- Fill out a survey whenever you finish participating in a group. This allows us to continue to improve our writing groups program.
- Agree to maintain confidentiality pertaining to all materials and conversations during writing group meetings.
"Writing is an arduous yet rewarding process. Sometimes people need a little motivation and support in order to get the ball rolling. The facilitators are able to zero in on certain issues and make things like 'comma usage' not so scary." - Student in Special Education
"The most helpful aspect of participation in the writing group was accountability, set time to work, and other people who understand the process and the difficulties." - Student in American Studies
"It is useful to receive critical feedback and to learn from others." - Student in Geology
If you have any questions about the writing groups, please email KU Writing Center.
Note: Graduate writing groups are sponsored by the KU Writing Center and the Office of Graduate Studies. They are, therefore, state and tuition funded rather than funded by student fees. Groups are offered free of charge to KU graduate students.