Graduate Student Writing Groups
Summer 2019 Groups
*Please Note: Summer 2019 writing groups are now all full, and registration is closed. Check back in August for information about fall groups.
The KU Writing Center is offering 5 writing group sessions for graduate students this summer. They are all "accountability" groups. In accountability groups members set writing goals at the beginning of each meeting and use then the entire time to write. Each group is led by a trained writing group facilitator who is available for individual writing consultations as needed. All groups are held in Anschutz Library, Room 421 on the Lawrence campus. Groups meet 2 hrs each time and contain up to 10 members.
All writing group participants must have writing projects and drafts to bring to meetings. Groups are open to all graduate students but tend to work best for more advanced students (third year and above) because these students often have more regular writing to work on.
In order to register for a group fill out our online writing groups application. Spots in groups are awarded on a first come, first served basis. You may register for more than one group. After you apply for a group you will receive an email from the Writing Center letting you know if you have been given a spot or if you have been put on the group's waitlist. We highly suggest you register on or before May 24.
Session A: Mon/Wed, 10am-12pm (June 5-26)
Session B: Mon/Wed, 1-3pm (June 5-26)
Session C: Mon/Wed, 10am-12pm (July 1-24)
Session D: Mon/Wed, 1-3pm (July 1-24)
Session E: Tues, 10am-12pm (June 4-July 23)
Why join a Graduate Student Writing Group?
- A sense of accountability
- Increased writing productivity
- Encouragement to set and accomplish goals
- Aid in overcoming "writer's block" and other writing challenges
When participating in a group led by the KU Writing Center we ask that you:
- Make an engaged commitment to the group: join with the intention of showing up every time (barring travel or illness) and providing feedback to others in the group.
- Let your group and facilitator know whenever you must be absent, as far in advance as possible.
- Respect the guidelines, structure, and schedule created by your group.
- Treat others in your group with respect.
- Let your group members and facilitator know if you decide you can no longer participate.
- Let your facilitator know if you have any troubles or concerns with your group so that we can help.
- Fill out a survey whenever you finish participating in a group. This allows us to continue to improve our writing groups program.
- Agree to maintain confidentiality pertaining to all materials and conversations during writing group meetings.
"Writing is an arduous yet rewarding process. Sometimes people need a little motivation and support in order to get the ball rolling. The facilitators are able to zero in on certain issues and make things like 'comma usage' not so scary." - Student in Special Education
"The most helpful aspect of participation in the writing group was accountability, set time to work, and other people who understand the process and the difficulties." - Student in American Studies
"It is useful to receive critical feedback and to learn from others." - Student in Geology
If you have any questions about the writing groups, please email KU Writing Center.