Want to talk with a consultant about your piece of writing but can’t make it to the Writing Center?
Through 45-minute videoconference consultations, the Writing Center’s newest service, you can work with a writing consultant from anywhere you want (as long as it has a decent internet connection). Using Google+ Hangouts to virtually meet and talk, you will have a real-time conversation about your writing with a KU Writing Center consultant.
There are a few things you should know and do in advance of your appointment, so please read the following requirements and instructions before scheduling your videoconference.
Because our videoconference consultations are conducted via Google+ Hangouts, in order to participate in a videoconference, you will need the following:
- A computer with one of the following operating systems: Mac OS X, Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8, Chrome, Ubuntu
- One of the following browsers: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari
- A decent internet connection. (If you can stream a video without interruption, your connection can probably support a videoconference.)
- A Gmail account. You must provide your Gmail address when scheduling your appointment.
Don't have one? Create one. It's fast and free.
- The Google+ "Hangout" Plug-in. Install it on your computer. It is also fast and free.
- A microphone and speaker connected to your computer.
- Optional but preferred: A webcam. This is required if you want to video chat.
At the time of your appointment, you will receive an e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org (“Jay Hawkwriter”). The e-mail will contain a link to your 'Hangout' with a KU Writing Consultant. (Note: this e-mail may go into your “social inbox” on Gmail.) You may also see a notification pop up on Google+.
Please have your writing open on your desktop before the appointment begins, as well as any supporting materials (such as the assignment sheet or research). You will share that with the consultant via screen share.
My appointment is right now and I haven't received an e-mail. What do I do?
If you have any questions in advance, contact the Writing Center at email@example.com or 785.864.2399. For any questions or problems at the time of your appointment, please call the Writing Center at 785.864.2399 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finally, a plea for your patience and cooperation. This service and technology is still evolving, and we need your help to make it better. Please bear with us as we continue to work out the kinks.