Meet with a Consultant Online
Want to talk with a consultant about your piece of writing but can’t make it to the Writing Center? No problem.
Through our appointment system, you can work with a writing consultant anywhere you want (as long as it has a decent internet connection). We call these Online Video Consultations.
First, make sure you're using a browser that is compatible with our website. We recommend Firefox or Chrome for real-time Online Video Consultations. Please read this document for directions on scheduling an online consultation.
- Once you are in the appointment system, go to the drop down menu of schedules at the top of the page.
- Select "Online Video Consultants."
- Make certain to read the instructions at the top of the page as they are very important.
- Note that all open appointments are white in color.
- Select the white box time that works best for you.
- A new window will open. Fill in the required information.
- Check over the information you provided, then click "Save Appointment."
- Once the appointment is saved, a new window will open. This gives you the option to upload a document.
- While uploading a document before your appointment begins is not required, we encourage writers to upload their papers and/or assignment prompts.
- A few minutes before your appointment time, log back into the appointment system.
- We strongly encourage writers to use Mozilla Firefox or Chrome browsers to avoid technical difficulties.
- Find your appointment and click on it to open up the Appointment Form.
- Click on "Start or Join Online Consultation."
- Your consultant will join you online at the start of the consultation.
- You must have a working microphone to talk with your consultant, and you can also use video and text-chat.
Policies to Know
Technology Requirements: For Online Video Consultations, you'll need access to a good internet connection. You'll also need a computer that has a microphone and camera so you can meet with your consultant and have a real-time conversation about your writing.
Provide the Assignment: Because good writing (and writing feedback) is contextual, it is crucial that we know the requirements and goals of the writing assignment. You must provide a detailed description of the assignment or writing project in order to receive feedback. This information enables the consultant to tailor feedback to your project's requirements. Please note that submissions that do not include an assignment description will be returned without feedback.