Accessibility and Accommodations
Your Needs and the KU Writing Center
As our Diversity Statement indicates, we welcome all writers in the KU community. Although our consultants do not currently receive formal training in disability accommodations, their continuing consultant development training prepares them to meet the needs of all writers - including writers with physical, sensory, mental health, developmental, and learning disabilities.
If there are any accommodations we can provide in order to better facilitate your learning during a consultation or improve your experience in the writing center, just let us know. Unless otherwise indicated below, accommodations do not require documentation from the Student Access Center. Potential accommodations include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting your consultation in an area with reduced distractions.
- Welcoming service animals into the Writing Center.
- Working with American Sign Language interpreters
- NOTE: the Student Access Center asks for requests 5 business days in advance. If a request is made with less notice, every effort to arrange services will be made, but cannot guarantee service provision on short notice. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Meeting at height-adjustable tables to accommodate wheelchairs.
- Use of assistive technology during consultations.
- We are also happy to work with you and your Access Specialist to book repeat appointments with the same consultant more than 10 days in advance if you have documentation with the Student Access Center.